You should talk to a nurse or doctor if:
- You imagine you might be expecting
- Your period that is next is than 7 days later
- Your duration is faster or lighter than typical
- You have got any unexpected or pain that is unusual your reduced stomach (this might be an indication of a ectopic maternity, the place where a fertilised egg implants outs
The crisis contraceptive tablet might communicate with other medications. Included in these are:
- The medicine that is herbal John’s Wort
- Some medications utilized to deal with epilepsy
- Some medications utilized to deal with HIV
- Some medications utilized to deal with tuberculosis (TB)
- Medicine such as for example omeprazole (an antacid) in order to make your belly less acid
EllaOne is not utilized as it may not be effective if you are already taking one of these medicines.
Levonelle may nevertheless be utilized, nevertheless the dosage may prefer to be increased – your physician or pharmacist can advise with this.
There ought to be no connection amongst the crisis pill & most antibiotics. Two enzyme-inducing antibiotics (called rifampicin and rifabutin), used to deal with or avoid meningitis or TB, may affect ellaOne while they’re being taken as well as for 28 times a short while later.
If you wish to make sure that your medications are safe to just just take using the crisis contraceptive tablet, pose a question to your GP or a pharmacist. It’s also advisable to see the client information leaflet that is included with your medications.
Can I have the crisis contraceptive capsule beforehand?
Maybe you are in a position to get the crisis contraceptive tablet prior to having sex that is unprotected:
- You might be focused on your method that is contraceptive failing
- You may be taking place getaway
- You simply cannot get your hands on crisis contraception effortlessly
Pose a question to your GP or nursing assistant for more info on getting advance crisis contraception.
The IUD as crisis contraception
The intrauterine device (IUD) is a little, T-shaped contraceptive unit produced from synthetic and copper. It’s inserted in to the womb by an experienced wellness professional. It might avoid an egg from implanting in your womb or becoming fertilised.
In the event that you’ve had non-safe sex, the IUD may be placed up to five times a while later, or as much as five times following the earliest time you can have ovulated, to stop maternity. It’s more efficient at preventing maternity compared to the crisis product, also it doesn’t connect to virtually any medicine.
You are able to decide to have the IUD left in as a method that is ongoing of.
Exactly exactly just How effective could be the IUD at preventing pregnancy?
There are lots of kinds of IUD. Newer ones do have more copper and are usually significantly more than 99% effective. Less than two feamales in 100 whom utilize a more recent IUD over 5 years can get expecting. IUDs with less copper inside them are less effective than this, but they are nevertheless effective. The IUD works better as compared to crisis capsule at preventing maternity after unsafe sex.
Who are able to utilize the IUD?
Nearly all women may use an IUD, including ladies who have not been expecting and people that are HIV good. Your GP or clinician will enquire about your health background to check on if an IUD would work for your needs.
You ought not to utilize an IUD when you have:
- An untreated STI or an infection that is pelvic
- Certain abnormalities of the cervix or womb
- Any unexplained bleeding from your vagina – for example, between durations or after intercourse
Ladies who have heart condition should consult their GP or cardiologist before having an IUD installed.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The IUD really should not be placed if you have a danger which you might already be expecting. The IUD can be properly used safely if you’re breastfeeding, however the threat of problems during insertion is somewhat greater.
Which are the unwanted effects regarding the IUD
Problems after having an IUD fitted are unusual, but can consist of discomfort, illness, injury to the womb or expulsion (the IUD coming from the womb). It may make your periods longer, heavier or more painful if you use the IUD as an ongoing method of regular contraception.
The IUD as well as other medicines
The emergency IUD will perhaps not react with every other medicine.
Where am I able to get emergency contraception?
You may get the emergency contraceptive supplement additionally the IUD for clear of:
- A GP surgery providing you with contraception (some GP surgeries may well not supply the IUD)
- A contraception hospital
- A intimate wellness hospital
- Some medicine that is genitourinaryGUM) clinics
- Some young adults’s clinics (phone our sexual helpline on 0800 22 44 88)
You may want to have the crisis contraceptive supplement clear of:
- Many pharmacies
- Some injuries units that are minor
- Some Accident & crisis divisions
A doctor or nursing assistant you notice may ask when it comes to after information:
- When you yourself have had non-safe sex in your present cycle that is menstrual
- The date associated with day that is first of final duration together with typical amount of your cycle
- Information on any failure that is contraceptivesuch as for example how many pills you might have missed, as soon as)
- If you have utilized any medicines which could influence your contraception
If you are aged 13 or higher, you could get contraception through the greater part of community pharmacies in Scotland, frequently totally free. You can buy the emergency contraceptive pill from most pharmacies if you are not eligible for NHS Scotland services. The fee differs, nonetheless it will be around ?30 to ?35.
Contraception for future years
If you are staying away from a method that is regular of, you may start thinking about performing this so that you can reduce the possibility of unintended pregnancy. Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) supplies the most dependable protection against maternity, and you also don’t need to think you have sex about it every day or each time.
LARC methods are the:
Where can it is got by me?
This will depend which kind of crisis contraception you utilize. There’s two techniques:
- The crisis contraceptive tablet (after pill) – there are two types, Levonelle or ellaOne morning
- The intrauterine device (IUD, or coil)
Emergency contraception prevents maternity if:
- You have not utilized contraception
- Your method that is usual of has unsuccessful
Crisis contraception shouldn’t be utilized rather than your typical way of contraception.
The earlier you employ crisis contraception after having unsafe sex, the greater effective it’s. For more information, observe how effective is crisis contraception?
The crisis contraceptive tablet
Levonelle can be obtained totally free without having a prescription. You may get it from many pharmacies and in addition from your own GP or health clinic that is sexual. Make use of our National provider Directory to get nearest pharmacy, GP surgery or sexual wellness hospital.
Levonelle and ellaOne are both available totally free. You will get them from most community pharmacies as well as from your own GP or intimate wellness center.
Levonelle may be taken within 72 hours (three times) of getting non-safe sex, but it is best if taken within 12 hours of getting sex that is unprotected.
You are taking one Levonelle tablet. It really works by stopping or delaying ovulation (if your ovaries launch an egg).
EllaOne could be taken within 120 hours (five times) of getting unsafe sex, but it is most reliable if taken as quickly as possible after having non-safe sex.
You take one ellaOne tablet. It prevents or delays ovulation and causes it to be more challenging for the fertilised egg to implant into the womb.
The IUD (intrauterine device) can be acquired from:
- Contraception clinics
- Brook centers
- Most health that is sexual (GUM clinics)
- Most GP surgeries
The IUD is positioned as part of your womb. It damages moscow-brides.net review both the semen and also the egg, and stops a fertilised egg implanting in your womb.
It should be fitted by a doctor within five days of having sex that is unprotected or, if it is feasible to calculate whenever you ovulate, as much as five times once you ovulate. The IUD is considered the most effective kind of crisis contraception.
You are able to keep consitently the IUD in as the method that is regular of, or a doctor can eliminate it through your next duration.
Crisis contraception might never be ideal for everybody else. Learn more about crisis contraception.
If you are ill
If you should be unwell (vomit) within three hours of using Levonelle or ellaOne, confer with your GP. You may have to take another product.
Just just exactly How effective can it be?
It depends which kind of crisis contraception you employ and exactly how quickly you employ it.
There’s two ways of emergency contraception:
- The crisis contraceptive pill – or morning-after capsule – referred to as Levonelle or ellaOne
- The copper IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
Crisis contraception prevents maternity when you haven’t utilized contraception or think your method that is usual of has unsuccessful.